Alliance of the Fort Worth District Dental Society
About Alliance of the
Fort Worth District Dental Society
The History of the Alliance of the Fort Worth District Dental Society’s Name and Insignia:
In 1928, the Woman’s Auxiliary to the Fort Worth District Dental Society was founded by dental wives “to compliment the activities of the Fort Worth District Dental Society, to extend the aims of the dental profession, and to create common interest among the members.”
In 1930, the Auxiliary became a member of the Woman’s Auxiliary to the Texas Dental Association, Northwest Division, District 12.
In 1977, the Executive Board of the Women’s Auxiliary to the Texas Dental Association voted to design an Auxiliary insignia. A committee consisting of President Mrs. M. James Moritz, Mrs. Bill Curry, Mrs. J. R. Kline, and designer Mrs. Robert D. Earl, brought forth a design that became the official insignia of the Auxiliary. Superimposed on the outline of the State of Texas is a single serpent of Aesculapius, the father of dentistry, entwined about an ancient Arabian cautery. The background has two branches of 32 leaves each bearing 20 berries, thus representing the two sets of dentition. The Greek letter Omicron for odont (tooth) surrounds the state outline bearing the organization’s name. The Fort Worth Auxiliary adopted the insignia as well.
In 1982, the state and local auxiliaries voted to leave out the word “Woman’s” from their name since the there was a growing number of women entering the dental profession.
In 1997, the official Auxiliary bylaws changed the name of the organization to the “Alliance of the Fort Worth District Dental Society” in keeping with the changing times.